Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The High Price of Leadership ( this will be long)

So I went to church today for noon prayer and something odd happened. I didn't pray. I couldn't say a thing. I was too tired from the night before. I found myself ready to fall asleep. To be respectful,  I stayed the whole half hour and went straight home. I got home, walked around for like a half hour and the last thing I remember say ( consciously ) was, "I have no idea where I am." I found the nearest bed and was knocked out cold. I woke up at 7:32. It was too late for me to catch my swim class and I decided to go to church.
In church they spoke about leadership and what it requires. I can't begin to explain how much that message hit home. The pastor spoke of being a person of honesty. He said liars are people that are insecure and have little self worth. He said to be a leader, you have to have thick skin. The further you go, the more criticism you're going to have to deal with. One thing that he spoke of was how your relationships will change. 
In leadership you have to be focused. Everything I do now has to contribute to the success of the Michael Jackson movement. Since it started with me, it will stop with me, so I can never be lazy. Because of this, I miss birthdays, events, and holidays. I tend to offend people, unwittingly. My phone rings off the hook and I miss the personal calls. I'm bombarded with people that want to be a part of the movement and I have to pray for divine discernment so I can figure out who's on my side and who's looking for the quick buck. I was almost that guy. The quick buck guy that is. That is why I'm glad that proceeds are going to the Heal the World Foundation. As soon as some people hear that there is no profit to be made, they seem to conveniently become too busy to help. But that's okay. At least I know the few people that I do have around me are around for the right reasons. 
In leadership you have to use your energy WISELY. By 8 am this morning, I was worn out. I had nothing and I didn't get too much done. One thing that the pastor ( Pastor Jason Alvarez ) spoke about in a service from almost a year ago was that you're going to have to figure out what things you are willing to be stupid in. Yesterday, I was trying to think of ways I could videotape the event and lead it. I pulled out my dreamweaver CS3 book and was getting ready to teach myself to build a website. I looked up google for press release templates and instructions. Finally I went looking for tips on how to decorate a myspace page.Hold your horses!!! If I had continued down that route, by 7/11 I would've been a very bitter man. Instead, I learned the four letter word that I think every leader needs to get accustomed to. HELP! I went to the facebook group site which is littered with people and said, " I need cameramen, I need a journalist, I need someone good with myspace, I need a web developer." 
The first help I got was for myspace. My best friend's girlfriend is good with myspace so I just told her what I needed and let her do her thing. That had to be the best feeling in the world. It allowed me  time and energy to dedicate to things that I HAVE to do. Things like asking for more help ;). I haven't heard responses on the other things but I'm sure it will get done. 
So I'm driving to church and who pops into my head? Hodge! Jean-Marie Hodge that is. She is one of my clients from back in my personal trainer days and has come to be one of my best friends. She is also the QUEEN of event planning. I made a quick call and she said she would help me. I didn't even have to give her many details, she just said yes. I am eternally greatful to her for her support and to God for linking us up. I quit my job in May and I thought I would supplement my income through personal training. Who was the first person I called? My good friend Hodge. She told me that she had been working hard and may want to train again. In talking, you know, just catching up, she told me about an event she planned for UMDNJ. I believe it was the cardiac department that won an award. Long story short it reminded me of all the stories she had told me about how she planned decadent parties for friends and family. Guess when she told me the UMDNJ story.... when I was on my way to church! It's funny how God works. You may not believe it, but I do!
I'm learning a lot about leadership in my swimming class. The instructor says, one of the reason you're sinking so quickly is because you're tense. That is the one thing I can't teach you! She also said when I swim I look like I'm fighting the water. To swim well you should be going with the water. Swimming to me is fascinating because it doesn't go to the strongest person but to the person who uses their strength wisely. Hmmmm.
So here's what I'm going to do. It's 10:53pm right now. I'll be in bed by 11, give or take 5 minutes. I know there are some things I have to do so I'll right them down here and check on it tomorrow morning. I'll get a good night's sleep and instead of going to noon prayer, I'll go to 7am prayer. Start the day off right! I'll actually eat throughout the day and I'll take advice where ever I hear it. I should get a call back from Hodge around 8 am so I will be of a right mind and ready to put her advice to use WISELY.
Spiritually, please pray for me. A few months back I made up my mind that I would pray for particular things:
1) Elimination of Distraction
2) Realization of Purpose
3) Divine ( God - sent ) Personal Connections
4) Divine ( God - sent ) Discernment
5) Wisdom
In the last week or so, I've decided to add two things:
6) Pure Heart
7) Right Motives
So if any of you can pray for me that I exercise these, it would be greatly appreciated. Pray that my eyes stay brown and never turn green.
I tell you, this process is a lonely one. To anyone I may offend along the way, please accept my sincerest apology. I make decisions, not all of them are the perfect ones but I hope you understand that these decision making process forces me to ask one question. What is the long term greatest good? I'm just a guy putting together an event. I can only imagine what the president goes through.  While this process is pruning me, and trust me, pruning is a painful process. I am filled with a feeling of purpose, for a while I walked around without that feeling and there's nothing like it. Okay it's 11:01. I'll put together tomorrow's to do list and get crackin'!

-Go to 7 am prayer
-Speak to Hodge, get ideas
-See the art guy over at National Sportswear about the shirts
-Repost the ebay listing with HTML on it
-Re-do the Michael Jackson Movement video, make sure that the Heal the World Foundation gets more face time
-Speak to the guy that owns Da Fashions down the street and see how much it costs to ships lots of clothes
-Reply to the shipping email I got from the most recent buyer. Thank them for their business and get their sz & quantity
-Email everyone that has joined the Meetup.com site
-Continue to appeal for journalists,cameramen, and web developers
-Try to find a child Michael Jackson impersonator
Times Up!

Till Next time 
Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment